Saturday, December 13, 2008

St. Lucy, patroness of blind, hear my prayers




Today is St. Lucy's feast day (Santa Lucia Day).

Little did I know decades ago when I was a regular guest at Bettyanne Twigg's annual Santa Lucia Day parties (held faithfully after dark on December 13, regardless of day of week or weather conditions) that I would ask the youthful saint's intercession to preserve my eyesight.

Being practially blind now, having incurred loss of blood flow to the optic nerves as a complication of heart surgery on April 17, 2006, I remain grateful for the little veiled vision I have and pray to keep it.

St. Lucy's day portends the coming of light into the world -- turning from the shortest day toward spring and eagerly awaiting the coming of God's light, the Christ child, into the darknesses of our minds and our lives.

Thank you, Lord and St. Lucy, for your courage to stay true to God's will in your life. May His will be done unto me.

by Nancy E. Thoerig 12-13-08

No comments: